Friday, September 6, 2013

Despriction: Waking Up

I was awakened by a tap on the shoulder around 5:30 a.m., only to receive a “Come on! Trenati you've got to get up… NOW!” said my mother. My body felt numb, and as I moved to get out of the bed the want to sleep more hit me like a stack of bricks. An overwhelming pressure was over me making it impossible to get up. I thought to myself maybe just one more minute of sleep, so I closed my eyes and scratched the nasty flaky, white crust out my eyes. BANG! My door flew open at high speed knocking down some papers. The lights of the room popped on burning my eyes and making my sight cloudy momentarily. “I said get up now! You’re making us late.” yelled my mom as she walked out the door. In complete agony, I tossed making some progress but there was far more to go. My limbs felt like spaghetti, the kind that always falls from the fork when you try to eat it and just like the spaghetti I would continuously get pulled back by sleep. But then out of the blue the most amazing aroma danced around me. It was so enticing and powerful it knocked my sleep right out of focus. It came closer and closer. The aroma entered my nose and threw me in a trance. The smell swirled around in my mind igniting a flame that created a wildfire which pulled me out of bed. It smacked me into consciousness, and lured me to follow it. I arrived to juicy, sizzling sausages, eggs, and the most perfect pancakes siting on the dining room table. I was definitely awake now…

No comments:

Post a Comment